History of the Golf Club and Course
The site of the original nine hole golf course was bought by John Evans, the son of the founder of Evans Medical, who had a house designed and built in 1885 by his architect brother-in-law, Aston Webb. He called the house and the surrounding estate Brackenwood.
In 1920 the property was purchased by Bebington Parish Council and used as council offices. In 1935 when Bebington Golf Club was closed, its greens were moved to Arrowe Park and its members to Brackenwood Park, where a new nine hole course had been laid out and golf professional, Eric Youds appointed.
Brackenwood Golf Club was created by a small group consisting of Jack Cookson, Lew Hughes, Jim Irvine, Johnny Leese, Magnus Shepherd and Alf Quirk who elected George Patterson as the first Captain. In those early days the course was shared by Bebington and Brackenwood Golf Clubs and the Oak Room in Brackenwood House was used as a joint clubroom.
During the Second World War the fairways were ploughed up and used to grow vegetables and it was not until 1946 that the course was reinstated. Unfortunately the neglect of the war years had not been kind to Brackenwood House. With more urgent priorities for urban regeneration after the war the House became more and more neglected. Various unsuccessful attempts were made by the Urban Council to utilise Brackenwood House but following a survey which identified extensive dry rot the decision was made in 1958 to demolish the building. As use of the house became unsafe the clubhouse was relocated, on 17th April 1954, to a small area of the hay loft above the former stables of Brackenwood House.
The entrance to the clubroom was via the spiral stairs which are located at left side of the building. Over the years the club progressed further and further along the hay loft until the whole of the upper floor became the clubroom for the club.
In the early 1970's Lord Leverhulme sold Needwood Farm to the Wirral Borough Council and work began to extend the golf course to 18 holes which was formally opened in 1976. Also at this time the club negotiated a extended lease with the Council for the whole building of the former stables while assuming responsibility for the maintenance of the property.
Accordingly, through frugal management over many years and the initiation of a development fund, organised by Ray Leadbetter and Mike Murphy, club accumulated funds of £28,000. This, together with a loan from the brewery enabled the club to fulfil a life long ambition to create a clubhouse fit for its members. Work was started in 1992 and formally opened by the Mr Bickerton, the President of the Cheshire Union Of Golf Clubs, on 9th October 1993. The total cost with fixtures and fittings was approximately £80,000.
A Ladies Club was formed in 1936 with the first Lady Captain being Mrs A Goll, the Secretary was Mrs Sophie Abbot and the Treasurer Miss J Hodkinson.